|
|
|
You can get e-magazine links on WhatsApp. Click here
|
|
|
|
|
|
Karnataka expands food safety inspections, launches QR code for public complaints
|
|
Wednesday, 19 August, 2026, 08 : 00 AM [IST]
|
|
Our Bureau, Bengaluru
|
Karnataka Minister U T Khader launched a QR code system to report food and drug safety violations and said inspections would be expanded to hostels, educational institutions, railway canteens, flight catering services and other establishments.
He felicitated Food Safety and Drug Administration Commissioner Srinivas K and his team for their recent statewide inspections. Speaking to reporters here, the health minister said the department had acted promptly after being directed to conduct the inspections.
"Our government has earned a good name among the public because of our staff's efficient work. We want to recognise, encourage and support them because they are the face of the government," he said. Khader said the newly launched QR code would be displayed outside hotels and other public places and shared on social media platforms. "Going forward, we do not want to wait for complaints to reach us. We cannot be everywhere and inspect everything ourselves. Therefore, we have developed a QR code. Anyone with information or a complaint about food safety or drug and pharmacy-related violations can use it to report the matter to us," he said, claiming that Karnataka was the first state to introduce such a mechanism.
The minister said a toll-free number and a dedicated call centre would also be set up soon. "We will provide a number and set up a dedicated team so that if someone calls from any area with a complaint, the team can go there, conduct an inspection and take appropriate action. The aim is to provide consumers with easier and more direct access to the department," he said.
He said 30 teams comprising officials from different districts had been formed to conduct inspections. A total of 63 three-star and five-star hotels, eight warehouses, four international restaurant outlets within BBMP limits and 30 food business operators were inspected. "Zepto and Zomato, as well as multinational restaurant chains including KFC, McDonald's, Domino's and Burger King, pubs and other establishments were among those inspected," he said.
"The purpose of these inspections and searches is not to harass anyone, shut down their business or punish them. Our primary objective is first to make them understand what they are doing wrong," the minister said.
"At the same time, we want to create awareness among the public that everything is not necessarily safe. When people go to a hotel or any other place to eat, they should think about these issues carefully and not take food safety for granted," said Minister Khader
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|